Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Bush: Iraq War "worth it"

That's easy for him to say. He has not directly suffered like the families of 100,000 dead Iraqis or of the 1750 servicemen who have died in this war.

I knew the President would resort to the empty platitudes like "freedom" and "liberty". What good is "freedom" when you're dead? I cannot believe that he still mentions 9/11 six times in a speech about the war in Iraq. What is worse is that it seems to be effective.

Wake me up in November 2008.

There are words like Freedom
Sweet and wonderful to say
On my heartstrings freedom sings
All day everyday.

There are words like Liberty
That almost make me cry.
If you had known what I know
You would know why.

--Langston Hughes

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Listen, man - What part of 'Democracy Freedom Stay the Course Terror Terror' don't you understand?

http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/war34.html

June 29, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

LOL, I really love that comic. I haven't checked that site out in a while. Thanks for reminding me.

June 29, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

No problem. I'd visited before and enjoyed it, but I lost the link. I really like that painting that is your avatar.

This is kind of personal, but I cried that night too. My father had just died a few weeks before. We didn't always see eye to eye politically, but we both shared an intense dislike for Bush. I was obviously depressed in the weeks that followed his death. I was sure Bush was going to be defeated and even though it's kind of silly, I thought that would help cheer me up.

June 29, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

It wasn't the best day for me, either - kept hoping for an Ohio miracle.

Even more than teh dead, my herat goes out to teh inh=jured an dtheir families - to the 19 year old who are disfigured, cannot walk, suffer from post-traumatic stress, etc. Did we learn nothing from Vietnam?

Oh, wait, that's right, GWB served in that war, I keep forgetting. Pass the president a band-aid.

June 29, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

November '04 sucked pretty hard. First Bush gets elected. Then, less than 2 weeks later, I had to put my 4 year old dog to sleep. I didn't cry on the night of the election. But I sobbed like a little kid when my dog died. It's probably unfair, but I think I'll blame Bush for that as well.

June 30, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

When I was at the airport a few weeks ago I saw three guys around my age who were missing either arms and legs. I know without a doubt that they were veterans.

"It's worth it."

---------

Shady was a nice looking dog, Doug. I had a greyhound that I had to put to sleep too.

The election was the cap of a very shitty year.

June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker