Wednesday, November 2, 2005

The USA has more torture centers than SBC has call centers.

I don't know mean to be flip as this news is very disturbing. We have no moral high ground.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

CIA Holds Terror Suspects in Secret Prisons

Debate Is Growing Within Agency About Legality and Morality of Overseas System Set Up After 9/11

The CIA has been hiding and interrogating some of its most important al Qaeda captives at a Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe, according to U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement.

The secret facility is part of a covert prison system set up by the CIA nearly four years ago that at various times has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several democracies in Eastern Europe, as well as a small center at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, according to current and former intelligence officials and diplomats from three continents.

The hidden global internment network is a central element in the CIA's unconventional war on terrorism. It depends on the cooperation of foreign intelligence services, and on keeping even basic information about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA's covert actions.

The existence and locations of the facilities -- referred to as "black sites" in classified White House, CIA, Justice Department and congressional documents -- are known to only a handful of officials in the United States and, usually, only to the president and a few top intelligence officers in each host country.

The CIA and the White House, citing national security concerns and the value of the program, have dissuaded Congress from demanding that the agency answer questions in open testimony about the conditions under which captives are held. Virtually nothing is known about who is kept in the facilities, what interrogation methods are employed with them, or how decisions are made about whether they should be detained or for how long.

Washington Post (registration required)

12 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Just wanted to mention that my exposure to that literary snippet came, not from reading Nietzche, but from reading the Watchmen.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

I've never read it but I was surprised to see it was included (as a graphic novel) on Time's list of greatest novels since 1920.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

I was surprised too. I mean, I loved it, but it's a comic book.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

Election 2004 happened a year ago today.

(trembles)

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

Yup. And I had to put my dog to sleep 13 days later. November 2004 sucked. A lot.

November 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my exposure to that comment came from the X Files.

I could be culturally deprived.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Jim said...

Who the hell is Nietzsche? ;-)

November 02, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Not to try and outdo you, Doug, but my Dad passed away 6 weeks before the election. He hated Bush and wanted to vote against him but he could not hold on long enough. I was obviously depressed after his death, but I took small solace in the fact that I KNEW Bush would be defeated in the election. It was just one of those things you cling to when you've been through a personal loss, so it struck me hard when results came in and I didn't have anything to look forward to.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

Just a grim, grim period for all concerned. I recall basically tuning out of all media for about a month afterward. I couldn't bear the gloating and the sycophantic spin I knew the lackeys at CNN and MSNBC would put on the election. After that, I picked it up a little, but really focused on Indiana and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the nation. That, in turn, spawned the current incarnation of my blog which has been a lot of fun for me.

November 03, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, I started this blog in April because it took me that long to recover.

November 03, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

I'd been blogging for a while - my solace post 11/3/04 was reading like-minded bloggers. I didn't want to hear from the spinners or whiners, just other ordinary people. It helped quite a bit.

I miss the incredible thrill I felt on election night 1992 when Clinton was elected. Then again, that's probably how GWB's supporters felt last year.

November 03, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

I'm the kiss of death, I think. The last election I got the President I wanted was '88, before I could vote. I was raised as sort of a business/country club Republican. So, Bush-Quayle made some sense to me at age 17. By '92, I was at least concerned enough about the deficit to shift from Bush to Perot. I still went with Perot in '96, which seems a little silly to me now, but I guess he was a gateway politician to ease my transition. Gore in '00 and Kerry in '04. Maybe I should just do us all a huge favor in '08 and vote for the GOP candidate.

November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker