Thursday, February 23, 2006

Senate panel overhauls abortion legislation

I was surprised to see that Senator Miller was the one who was responsible for gutting the bill. I have called her "wingnut" several times in this blog, but it just goes to show that she is a bit more reasonable than her counterparts in the House.

Effort to limit procedure is severely weakened

The most significant provision now is a new requirement that doctors tell women seeking an abortion that there are families waiting and willing to adopt. Already, doctors must inform women about alternatives to abortion, including adoption, the risks of the procedure and that an ultrasound of their fetus is available.
Wednesday's action, a boost to abortion-rights supporters, was instigated by a staunch opponent of abortion.

Senate Health and Provider Services Committee Chairwoman Patricia L. Miller, R-Indianapolis, said she didn't think the bills appropriately addressed the larger issue of reducing the number of abortions in Indiana


Link

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I really like your blog. I am also a Hoosier. I live about an hour south of Indy. I host a site called "The Phoenix Sunrise." (http://www.thephoenixsunrise.com), and would be rather interested in linking to you, as well as possibly have you join my topsites, if you're at all interested. You can email me at lady@ -the aforementioned website.

Thanks so much.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yes, I am interested. Please do, and I'll add you to my ever growing list of Indiana blogs. \

February 23, 2006  
Blogger Doug said...

My faith in Sen. Miller was shaken pretty badly after that reproductive assistance debacle. But my experience with her is that she is incredibly hard working, thoughtful, and earnest.

Some of the anti-abortion zealots in the House I don't think have their religious beliefs tempered by those qualities. Just speculation.

February 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen Miller turn back similar bills in the past, although my concern is that the offensive language has already passed one house, and unless Garton puts the right conferees on it, the language will be put right back in in conference comitttee. (Also, given that Sen. Miller is from Indianapolis and there are a fair number of not-crazy-people there, I think she has to balance keeping the religious right happy and staying electable in Marion County.)

February 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't Miller part of the group who flipflopped with pro-lifers on the facilities bill (1070 maybe?) My understanding was that some promises from last year were broken when several lifers backed the facilities bill without grandfathering in existing abortion clinics (effectively putting Planned Parenthood's abortion clinics out of business for at least six months.) I just assumed Miller was trying to save face and get what she could.

February 28, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I am not sure, braingirl. Miller was the one who came up with the nutty legislation regarding the reproductive assistance. She had to abandon that once the national media found out about it.

March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker