Saturday, November 19, 2005

South Keystone Art Cinema to become Dollar Show

I knew this would happen. It is no coincidence the theater is closing one week before the multiplex 7 screen "art" theater opens on the northside. This new theater will not be dirty and in poor shape. I am sure there will be no draft in the theater either. On the other hand, I am certain this corporate chain will "show" relatively safe and inoffensive films.

The Keystone cinema was far more daring than Castleton Arts. While Castleton Arts might be showing an independent American film, Keystone might have something from Pakistan or Tibet on their marquee. They showed a lot of leftist documentaries and films targeted to gays as well. I live on the southside and I do not want to drive clear to the northside to see a decent film. I admit I like Ben Stiller/Will Ferrell/Luke Wilson/Vince Vaughn films as much as the next guy, but sometimes I like to see more obscure films.

Their website proudly proclaims they will be switching over to 50 cent movies starting December 2nd. There is no explanation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I remember reading last year about this new arts multiplex opening up, but haven't heard a peep about it until your post. Where the hell is the thing going to be?

I agree that the "switch" of Key Cinemas to mainstream stuff is a shame. You certainly aren't going to see stuff like A Dirty Shame or the Andy Warhol film festival at the new multiplex.

November 20, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

At Keyston Crossing, here is the link.

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Indianapolis/Indianapolis_Frameset.htm

I went to south keystone theater last night to see "Good night, and good luck" (Great film by the way). I overheard the owner telling someone that he was going to open up somewhere eventually. After the show, I asked if where and when. He was pretty dejected. He said it was just a dream now.

November 20, 2005  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Awww, bummer.

November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker