Thursday, June 29, 2006

Senator Bayh Votes In Favor of Flag Burning Amendment

This is yesterday's news, but I think it should be noted that Indiana Senator Evan Bayh joined a predominantly Republican contingent in favor of amending the Constitution to protect the flag. He is the only 2008 Democratic Presidential hopeful to vote for the flag burning amendment.

This is a simply wedge issue that the Republicans will use in the election year. In fact, they already have.

Quotes like this are ridiculous: "Countless men and women have died defending that flag," said Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., closing two days of debate. "It is but a small humble act for us to defend it."

No, they didn't die to protect a piece of cloth. The flag means nothing if we lose the freedoms that the flag symbolizes.

Thank God, people like Senator Inouye (who lost an arm fighting in World War 2) get it. He said, "Our country's unique because our dissidents have a voice. While I take offense at disrespect to the flag, I nonetheless believe it is my continued duty as a veteran, as an American citizen, and as a United States senator to defend the constitutional right of protesters to use the flag in nonviolent speech." It's no surprise the Medal of Honor recipient had the courage to stand up to this amendment as well.

7 Comments:

Blogger John Burzynski said...

No, they didn't die to protect a piece of cloth. The flag means nothing if we lose the freedoms that the flag symbolizes.

And thus you have found the ultimate basis of the whole argument.

This is a much more complicated issue than at first glance, just ask any veteran of a war. The flag is a symbol of freedoms, one of the primary of which is freedom of expression / speech, of which flag burning is an unfortunate expression.

You can't pick and choose your freedoms.

June 29, 2006  
Blogger Timmy said...

Evan has no BALLS!

June 29, 2006  
Blogger lilmammal said...

God I hate value voting.

June 29, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

John, I agree it's complicated. I am no fan of American foreign policy. I understand realpolitik, but our post ww2 government has done committed countless unjustifiable acts. In spite of this, I'll never forget walking up the stairs at the Paris metro stop Ecole Militaire to see demonstrators burning the American flag. I was at once angry and sad.

June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think it is amusing when people are surprised when Bayh votes with the GOP. He is not exactly what you'd call "liberal." And he's known for not voting the D platform when it counts, unless he needs something. (But then again, I don't care for him much. Others think he's the great future hope of the D's.)

June 29, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I wasn't surprised he voted this way, but I thought it deserved a mention.

June 29, 2006  
Blogger afb said...

I'm still on the fence with this one. I guess having a family member in Iraq and another one on his way I can't bring myself to make a yes or no decision. I feel both sides have valid arguments. I've given this topic alot of thought and I just can't decide. On one side it's a symbol for everything right in our country and on the other side it's a symbol for everything wrong in our country.

July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker