Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tony Dungy: "'I embrace' same-sex marriage ban"

"I appreciate the stance they're taking, and I embrace that stance," Dungy said. Local and national gay-rights organizations had criticized Dungy for accepting the invitation to appear at the banquet. The institute, affiliated with Focus on the Family, has been one of the leading supporters of the marriage amendment. "IFI is saying what the Lord says," Dungy said. "You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be. I'm on the Lord's side."

Indianapolis Star
Deadspin

Bil Browning of Bilerico was quoted in the Indianapolis Star article, "It is unfortunate that coach Dungy has chosen to align himself with the Indiana Family Institute," he said. "The Colts were supported this season by all of their fans -- gay and straight."

13 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

I assume that the coach also makes certain that his wife's head is covered and that she is silent in church. After all, that's what the Bible says.

March 21, 2007  
Blogger tommyspoon said...

Now, now, Lemm. You're not endorsing that "cafeteria-style" religion, are you? ;-)

March 22, 2007  
Blogger Jason said...

I prefer the "all-you-can-eat-buffet-style" religion myself. Light on the fire and brimstone, heavy on the wine drinking...

March 22, 2007  
Blogger Nölff said...

Dungy for preznit 2008

March 22, 2007  
Blogger Smartypants said...

I used to think so much of Tony. Not anymore.

Another reason I hesitate to identify myself as a Christian.

March 22, 2007  
Blogger Butchie said...

Good to see, Coach is right with the Lord.

March 22, 2007  
Blogger Timmy said...

I am with Jason -

It is unfortunate, being that I know at least 15 gay men that are season ticket folders.

March 23, 2007  
Blogger Timmy said...

holders, not folders. ;)

March 23, 2007  
Blogger torporindy said...

Hey, Timmy,

I miss your blog.

March 23, 2007  
Blogger Butchie said...

TICKET FOLDERS!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!
HA HAHAHA HAHA HA !!!

FOLDERS!!!!!

March 23, 2007  
Blogger Nölff said...

SC just made a gay marriage ban on our state constitution today.... also, they are forcing women to view ultrasouds minutes before abortion.

I wonder if we're going to be punished for allowing James Clyburn to become majority whip.

March 23, 2007  
Blogger Smartypants said...

From the Houston Chronicle:

AUSTIN — Houston state Sen. Dan Patrick wants the state to pay $500 to women who give their babies up for adoption instead of aborting them, an idea some say borders on baby selling.

March 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really disappointed. I defended him on this speaking engagement. I just..yeah. Disappointed.

March 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker