Tuesday, January 8, 2008

David X Harrison, RIP

David X Harrison, a fixture at the corner of Market and Delaware, passed away on January 1st. For those of us who work or worked downtown it was hard to miss him. He had an infectious smile and always said the same thing, "Have a great day", to those who passed. He never asked for money but there was a cup there if you care to make a donation. I did on occasion but even when I did not his personality never changed.

That corner was his. I once saw him run off another person who tried to claim it as his own. He had a table out front with a picture of himself. Also on the table he had his hat that proudly declared him a Korean War veteran. No matter how poor the weather was, like the Post Office, he delivered because he was always there. I always admired his spirit in light of his challenging circumstances.

I was touched to see that the Star thought enough of him to mention his passing. Of course many of the idiots who read the Star on line couldn't leave enough alone. If you ever want to lower your IQ read the comments on the Star homepage. Why these people feel compelled to say such drivel is beyond me.

Some have mentioned Mr. Harrison's past. Some have decried why the Star would choose to honor a mere pan handler. I thought about this and I believe Mr. Harrison could serve as a positive example to those who actually took the time to think about it. How could you not admire a person who in light of poor health still found something positive in his life? How could you not admire someone who no matter what obstacles he faced still found a way to go to that corner every day to wish people well? How could you not admire someone who even after mistakes in life found a way to turn his life around? How could you not feel shame that a person who served his country in war time would be regulated to pan handler status? Mr. Harrison taught those who did not choose to ignore him a few lessons.

Regardless may he rest in Peace. Have a great day.

3 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

When I lived in Chicago, I had a pan-handler I tried to help at least once a week. He "found" copies of paperback novels (all of them with the cover removed) and sold them for a dime a piece. He remembered his regular customers and would suggest titles - and nearly always got the suggestions right. Then one day he wasn't there - I've always wondered.

January 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lemming, was there a big chain bookstore nearby? For a lot of genre titles like mystery and romance, chain stores will strip the covers and send back to the publishers for credit. It's cheaper than shipping back the extra books.

There was a regular panhandler at my subway stop every morning when I first moved to Brooklyn. He was like my personal concierge -- knew everything about the neighborhood and went out of his way to help me find my way around. I tried to find him before I moved away, to thank him one last time, but never did.

January 10, 2008  
Blogger torporindy said...

Those jerks who post on the Star forums make me sick.

January 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker