Thursday, March 9, 2006

The Essence of SUVs

In the age of Clear Channel, I should appreciate an independent radio station like 92.3 WTTS and I do. As far as commercial radio stations go, they are better than most. On the other hand the DJs get on my last nerve. Sometimes I wonder if it is what it would be like if NPR personality, Terri Gross was a DJ at a rock station. I am tired of hearing how Bonnie Raitt or any other artist is the "essence" of WTTS or "this is Jack Johnson from his 'sophomore' effort". It's always an "effort" or an "offering" it's never just an album or even a latest release. I don't know why they bother me so much. I guess it is just that smattering of pretentiousness. It got the best of me today when I saw a couple of WTTS employees leaving Luna Music on Mass Ave. They were getting into a Land Rover Discovery with WTTS emblazoned all over it. I couldn't help but say a little too loudly, "the 2006 Land Rover Discovery is the very essence of a SUV." I don't even think it even makes sense, but I could not help myself.

9 Comments:

Blogger lilmammal said...

It's WTTS's playlist that annoys me the most.

March 10, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are some diamonds in the rough though.

March 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do these people not own a thesaurus? (Also, whenever I hear that something is the "essence" of something else, I automatically think of Zoolander. "Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.")

March 10, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Hah, nice zoolander quote.

March 10, 2006  
Blogger Jason said...

Two words:
Satellite Radio

It's the essence of musical essence, in essence.

March 10, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, I am a dinosaur. I cannot decide whether to buy satellite radio or an ipod.

March 10, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

I can't remember the last time I actually listened to commercial radio. And I agree with indygirl - the playlist is awful. I'm not against folky singer-songwriters, but when that's all your playlist consists of, it gets old really damn quick.

I bought my iPod a little over a year ago and am not disappointed in the least. What's great is being able to download podcasts and listen to them whenever I want. I would also spring for satellite radio if I spent more time commuting to work.

March 10, 2006  
Blogger Brian D. said...

WTTS is my second favorite station, but when they get into folksy-rock mood too much I change the channel. They tend to play the same damn song for an artist over and over and over again.

I like them, but they need to not go overboard on their playlists and yammering DJs.

As for the Land Rover comment where they drunk or just stupid?

March 10, 2006  
Blogger John Good said...

Get the satellite radio, it's worth it. If nothing else for Air America. Also check out 91.5 in Columbia City. You can listen live online at wjhs915.org. Awesome little high school station that kills the commercial stations around here.

March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker