Monday, March 6, 2006

Oscars

I saw each of the nominees this year and I ranked them in order of personal preference:

1. Crash
2. Good night and Good luck
3. Munich
4. Brokeback Mountain
5. Capote

I really enjoyed all of these films and a case could have been made for each one of them to win the Oscar, but I was glad to see Crash win. I saw the movie last Spring, which is traditionally too early of a release to gain consideration for Best Picture. I was surprised to see it win, but I guess the creators of the movie had an ambitious advertising campaign and it paid off. I reviewed the movie here, my only complaint was that it was a bit too earnest at times, but otherwise it was great.

Brokeback Mountain was a great movie and I was surprised that it did not win. One of the local news channels was covering an Oscar party held at the Greenbriar Cinema. The reporter interviewed one blowhard who was upset that Brokeback Mountain did not win. He ranted that Brokeback lost because because homophobia still exists in this society. I agree homophobia is a real problem in society, but this was not the Bruceville Rod and Gun Club members who were voting for Best Picture. Instead, it was the Academy, I do not believe homophobia played a role in the outcome.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - both Brokeback Mountain and Crash are great movies (along with the others nominated), but I was rooting for Crash, too. It was more complicated and to me did a little more of what film can do as a medium. However, the stories had some similarities in that they were both about how prejudices can be both true and false all at once, and how people can surprise you (both the gangster in Crash and the mom in Brokeback, for instance.)

March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree that the Academy is not homophobic. I think the film industry is quite terrified of being seen as "gay" so I do think there is homophobia there. But I don't think that is why Crash won and Brokeback Mountain lost.

March 06, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

A friend of mine noted what impressed him most about Crash was that every single character in that movie was three dimensional, which is difficult to do in a movie about stereotypes.

March 06, 2006  
Blogger Nölff said...

I hope Tom Cruise didn't win anything.

March 06, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Thankfully, no.

March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crash won because of unprecedented amount of lobbying the studio did to make sure it won, and because Brokeback was so favored that people voted against it just to be maverick.

Personally, I thought The Constant Gardner should have been nominated in the best picture category.

March 06, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, I posted a link a while back which detailed the lobbying done for Crash. You're probably right, but I think brokeback mountain could not live up the hype as well. I enjoyed the film but I walked away a bit disappointed because my expectations were too high.

I haven't seen the constant gardener yet. I want to see Junebug as well.

March 06, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

Junebug was great. We saw it at Castleton Arts before it shut down.

I've seen only Brokeback and thought it was fantastic, but I'd agree that homophobia ain't the reason it wasn't selected. lawgeekgurl has it right.

March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did the Bruceville Rod & Gun Club come into this comment at

September 11, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Lol, it's just a place near where I grew up.

September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker