Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wikipedia

I love wikipedia. One can find almost anything he wants to know there. I was researching George Mason University and I noticed it had a fairly small list of famous alumni. The most famous one was probably Karl Rove. Of course, schools like UCLA, LSU, Florida and Indiana University have many famous former students, so they have actual category breakdowns for their famous alums.

For example, politics: Wendell Wilkie (IU), Tom Bradley (UCLA), James Carville, (LSU)

entertainment: Kevin Kline (IU), Francis Ford Coppola(UCLA)

Nobel Prize Winners Ralph Bunche (UCLA), Marshall Nirenberg (University of Florida)

They have different categories for athletes, business, law and so on.

Of course, then there is that "other" category for those difficult to place alumni. Indiana University has two and for some reason I had to laugh.

Other:
Jared Fogle, spokesman for Subway restaurants
Jim Jones, Peoples Temple founder and cult leader (from the Jonestown massacre)

8 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

that surely does not suprise me!

March 29, 2006  
Blogger Smartypants said...

I read that about Karl Rove and GMU and it tarnished their reputation just a shade with me.

Nah. Just kidding. I'm still totally pulling for them.

March 29, 2006  
Blogger Doug said...

Not only did Jim Jones and I graduate from the same college (IU), we graduated from the same high school (Richmond). Creating a cult is going to be tougher to pull off, I suspect.

Oh, and I also love Wikipedia. I was looking something up about Toledo, Ohio and found out that there is a strip of land around Toledo that was apparently claimed by both Michigan and Ohio. They sent their respective militias out. Apparently, no shots were fired and the only casualties were a couple of pigs, but still, I'm starting to see why that OSU/Michigan rivalry is so intense.

March 29, 2006  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Hell yes. Jim Jones is our trump card for everything.

March 29, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I have a friend from Toledo and she told me that story. Who would fight over Toledo?

March 29, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

Every time I see Jared's name I can't help but think of the "Jared Has Aids" episode of South Park.

March 29, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Hey, Kevin, thanks for stopping by. I think Wikipedia does a good job in spite of it all. Did you see where Congressional staffers got in trouble for tampering with the bios of congressman?

I even edited my hometown's entry to add stuff about my grandfather. No one's changed it thus far.

March 30, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I am sure they keep the PETA page locked now.

March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker