Friday, June 2, 2006

Pro-Life License Plates

BMV approves 'Choose Life' plates

The anti-abortion debate is coming to Indiana's cars, as Bureau of Motor Vehicles Commissioner Joel Silverman has approved a "Choose Life" license plate.

The plate, which will be available beginning in January 2007, was among 10 specialty plates Silverman approved and was sought by the Indiana Association of Pregnancy Centers.

Greg Cook, spokesman for the BMV, said this afternoon Silverman's decision was not a philosophical or political one.

"No," he said. "This organization demonstrated significant support and certainly met the minimum requirements."

To win approval of a specialty license plate, a group can seek passage of a bill through the Indiana General Assembly or can gather petitions to seek approval directly from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Cook said a group must show it can sell 2,000 of the license plates over four years.

Money from the sale of the plates will benefit the group's "pro-life pregnancy resource centers," according to a statement by Indiana Right to Life.


Seriously, we're not all a bunch of hicks here even though one of the first things you see when you leave the Indianapolis International Airport is a sign which reads "Indiana is a pro life" state.

It's hogwash for the BMV to claim this decision was not a philosophical or a political one. As if any group that could prove it could sell 2,000 license plates over four years could receive their own plate. I've been on the internet for over a decade and I can tell you that in a population of 6 million people, you can almost find 2,000 enthusiasts for almost any interest. How about those who support universal healthcare? Why don't the swingers get their own license plates? Quilters? S and M fans? Trekkies? Those who engage in auto-erotic asphyxiation? I am open for your suggestions for new submissions.

Update: The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette has a good article on the new plate issue.

9 Comments:

Blogger crallspace said...

Jeez...

Glad I left IND... it seems to just get worse.

I left after graduating at Ball State, and coming to a blue state was quite a breath of fresh air.

June 03, 2006  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Ugh. This place is smothering me.

June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this sign? Because that's just begging for comment. As soon as I get my ass settled in my new house, I'll tackle that sign...

June 05, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

It is on a huge billboard just south of the the airport on I-465 in the northbound lane. I haven't been that way lately though. If so, I hope you do because I've never really noticed anyone complain about it.

June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's get together 2000 signatures to support a "Planned Parenthood" license plate, or better yet, a "Roe vs. Wade" license plate.

June 06, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Is that a Ben Folds Five reference?

June 06, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

I'm surprised there already isn't a pro-life plate out. When the specialty plates first were introduced, there were even less requirements. One of the first plates was a Square Dancing Society. The BMV got so many requests from dinky little organizations that they had to "abort" and go back to the drawing board with their requirements.

June 06, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Ha! I remember that. One of the my bosses back in the day was an avid square dancer. I think we held like a national or world square dancing convention around the time the plates came out.

June 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will never see a Roe vs Wade (although I LOVE the idea). I say that because, the unintelligent equate being pro-choice as being pro-abortion. It is a highly personal decision. If you don't believe it is right, then DON"T HAVE ONE - but don't push your independent feelings on other people. Personally, it is not a choice I could make - but I will also admit that NOBODY knows with 100% certainty WHAT they will do until they are facing an un-intended pregnancy. I've seen staunch pro-lifers have an abortion and people who were pro-choice be unable to make that choice.

I say it will never happen. I say that for the same reasons that it is ok to have scholarships for minorities only but if you tried to create one for WHITE students only, it would cause a public OUTCRY!!!

June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker