Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Indianapolis drops the ball

The City of Indianapolis chose the the 25-story Marriott design to be the new flagship hotel of the convention center. This selection comes after much buildup and hype over how the skyline of Indianapolis going to change. I suppose this is still true, but the design (pictured below) is truly uninspired. It looks like a tall warehouse building that belongs among the non-descript office buildings of Carmel.



The losing bid was the sleek design of the Intercontinental Hotel chain whose 44 story plan would have made it one of the tallest buildings in the city.





I suppose there is still hope as this is the recommendation of a committee. The talkback forum at the Indianapolis Star is almost unanimous in agreement against this selection.

People have started a campaign to write to the Mayor to ask him to reconsider. You may do so at this address.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest, I always thought the Intercontinental was a rejected design for an Xbox or Playstation.

Something that looked cool now, but in 15 years we'd look at it, much like the expansion to the City Market, and say, "What the heck were we thinking?"

December 20, 2006  
Blogger Jason said...

I concur with Joe's thoughts.

Also, take hope in the face that both IBJ and the Indy Star are reporting that the city will likely ask for changes that will increase the building to 30 stories instead of 25 and the developer has already said that if the city asks them to look at a redesign, they will. It's not over yet.

But the site and program for this site were superior, in my opinion.

December 20, 2006  
Blogger Timmy said...

hmmmmm. tough call!

December 20, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I couldn't find a picture that does the Intercontinental justice.

I have stayed in an intercontinental hotel in Toronto and a few JW Marriott's all over the country. I prefer the Intercontinental by far. Perhaps it's a matter of taste, but it is modern. I am the type of a guy who prefers the W New York over the Waldorf-Astoria though.

If they can build it at least 30 stories and use some creativity on the design I guess I will be somewhat placated.

December 20, 2006  
Blogger Arthur said...

Please let me know if you run across any more blogs doing posts on this topic. I'm trying to keep a running tab over at Indianapolis Bloggers. Thanks!

December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I cliced the link to the mayor. I sent him my thoughts. I got a response from his "helper" almost immediately. "As part of the letter of intent and the final project agreement, the
City
will work closely with the developer to create a first-class hotel with
architectural appeal that will be a great addition to the City’s
skyline
and enhance our convention industry."

December 21, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, I received something like that too. I guess we'll just wait and see.

December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker