Thursday, December 14, 2006

Physician, heal thyself

Americans take a lot of pride in the fact that we are a democracy. At one point one of the reasons for the war in Iraq was to establish a democracy in the Arab world. This is strange because in the past we’ve overthrown democratically elected governments solely to establish rulers who are more to our liking.

The Economist magazine has created an index to measure the best democracies.

The magazine graded each nation on:

1. The electoral process and pluralism
2. Functioning of Government
3. Political Participation
4. Political Culture
5. Civil Liberties.

The top 5 nations were

1. Sweden
2. Iceland
3. Netherlands
4. Norway
5. Denmark

Noticeably absent from the top nations is the self-proclaimed "city on a hill", the USA, which was rated 17th in the world just behind Spain and ahead of the Czech Republic. The USA falls between a nation that was ruled by a dictator until just over 30 years ago and another nation that was under communist rulenjust over 16 years ago.

Land of the Free?

The US finished tied for 60th in the category of civil liberties. According to the study, citizens of the US enjoy the same level of freedom as the citizens in the African nation of Namibia. Remember that the next time you see one of those “Freedom isn’t Free” bumperstickers.

The full report and ranking criteria can be found here

4 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

why am I not shocked?

http://indymtgpro1977.blogspot.com

December 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, might "Iceberg" actually be "Iceland"?

December 14, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

LOL, thanks, anonymous.

That's what I get for posting stuff at 1 am.

December 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TORPORINDY!
I am a horrible slacker. I have actually moved my words of wisdom to the evil myspace. myspace.com/canelarose
I am now co habitating with my boy toy :)
that keeps me busy most of the time. The inside info to the murat is few and far between now. I am trying out for the burlesque show at the 7. I am not sure they are willing to bow to my control creative control issues....I just want to wear a damn top hat. Is that too much to ask?!?
How the F have you been Bro?
~Cinnamon~

December 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker