Thursday, December 21, 2006

No carryout liquor on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve

Imagine this nightmare. It is Christmas Eve and you're at your uncle's house to celebrate Christmas. Your aunt's side of the family is there too. You panic because you see her deadbeat brother darken the door. The last time you saw him he had just surfaced after being missing for three weeks. He had been whining about his wife brainwashing him by withholding all food from him except for Totino's pizzas. Behind him is his daughter whose voice makes Diane Rehm or Fran Drescher's sound like Maria Callas. The only thing that is going to help you make it through this Christmas is to sit in that comfortable chair in the corner and crawl deep inside of a bottle of your favorite beverage. The only problem is that Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday and you have the misfortune of living of living in Indiana.

Welcome to hell, amigo.

Indiana is one of only three states in the nation which does not allow carryout alcohol sales on Sunday. The other two are Connecticut and Georgia.

This year, Indiana's archaic blue laws will have an effect on liquor stores as they will have to close on the busiest day of the year. Apparently, the legislature could have granted a special dispensation to allow sales on this day, but they did not. Why didn't the Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers lobby for special permission to open on New Year's Eve?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

Oh the humanity!

I wonder if there will be a mad rush on Saturday night.....

I plan on leaving work tomorrow and stock piling all I can fit in my trunk and back seat. I might even boot-leg some if I need some cash. I doubt it though.

December 21, 2006  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

If the worst problem someone has is trying to find booze on a holiday evening they should be grateful.

http://sms100.blogspot.com/

December 21, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yes, it could be worse like not having a sense of humor.

December 21, 2006  
Blogger Timmy said...

ROFL @ Torpor!

ever the smartass! love it! Merry Christmas ya freaking Jew.

December 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with torpor, this place is often times hell on earth. But I only come back here for the holidays because my parents live here. Why do you voluntarily choose to live in such a place?

December 21, 2006  
Blogger John Good said...

Fortunately enough, I can make a run for the border if I forget!

December 21, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, John, Illinois gives local authorities control over the alcohol laws. There was this almost mythical place that sold beer on Sunday in the middle of nowhere Illinois. We used to load up almost every sunday to try and find the place, but we never did.

Anonymous, I don't know. My family is here, I suppose. I am not down on Indiana as a whole. I just have some complaints, but I know I would find something to complain about anywhere.

December 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Kid, you can buy wine on Sunday at Indiana wineries. In Indianapolis you can buy at the Easley winery downtown. They have a couple dozen different kinds of wine plus champagne.

December 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker