Sunday, July 8, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Sunday night

As a child of the 80's I couldn't wait to see the movie Transformers. I saw it on Monday night along with packed house of geeks. The movie was awesome but alas, the Star gave it a poor review. One of their biggest complaints--not enough character development. Do you really go see a movie about robots that turn into cars and wonder what makes them tick?

The new seven wonders of the world were named. I was hoping for one in particular and it made it. I saw the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza back in October and I found myself completely blown away. Definitely put that on your list to see in your lifetime.

One of my favorite new additions to downtown is Red's Classic Barbershop. The place has a great feel to it and they have a great atmosphere. You can grab some coffee and listen to some jazz while you wait to get your hair cut. It isn't cheap (about 19 bucks a cut) but I have gotten two of the best haircuts I ever have gotten in my lifetime there. The razor finish is awesome.

Another great addition to downtown is the Webber Grill. I am not a big fan of chains but this is a selective chain having just opened outside its Chicago base. I ate at one in Chicago and loved it. I have already eaten there twice since they opened on Tuesday. Both meals have been excellent.

Knowing it would be one of the luckiest days in my lifetime, I placed a bet on a long shot yesterday (7/7/07) at the off track betting parlor. I lost.

CNN has a feature on America's Favorite Cities. We aren't on it.

Now that I think of it, what the hell does make Optimus Prime tick?

6 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

I agree about Red's. Every time I pass it (I work two doors down), I get this wonderful, wafting, old-timey barbershop smell, so that I wish I could get my hair cut there every other week. I gotten it cut once, and it was great for a first time.

My only concern is that it never seems crowded -- I hope the place is making enough to survive.

July 09, 2007  
Blogger Nölff said...

I like barber shops.

We have a few places that are just like Floyd's barber shop. They talk about weather and football all the time.

Every other weekend I'll just go in there just to get my neck hair shaved with a straight razor. $3

July 09, 2007  
Blogger torporindy said...

I prefer the Pyramids at Tenochitlan to Chichen Itza. I don't know why those did not make it.

July 09, 2007  
Blogger Timmy said...

must try Webber! thx Kid!

July 09, 2007  
Blogger lemming said...

I'm still trying to work out how the Statue of liberty made the list.

July 09, 2007  
Blogger Moulton said...

What makes Optimus Prime tick is what makes every machine tick -- enhanced functionality.

Of course most machines don't have heroic levels of functionality. And some machines are downright disappointing.

But the world of machines exudes functionality above and beyond the capabilities of humans and other living systems.

The reason is sraightforward. The geeks who build our marvelous machines know enough math to appreciate what a function is, how to engineer the right function for the right job, and how to attractively package it into silicon and metalized plastic.

The new iPhone is perhaps the premier example of a sleek and highly optimized, highly functional device that does everything but the dishes. (For that, you need a dishwasher by GE, Whirlpool, or Maytag.)

Of course, there is no reason Homo Schleppians couldn't upgrade their own functionality. But that's unlikely, given the rather meager level of mathematics that most members of our species ever attain.

So it goes.

July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker