Friday, October 19, 2007

Radiohead

So my favorite band still recording did a gutsy thing this past week or so. Freed from any constraint of a record label, Radiohead decided to put out its new CD on the web. There is no distribution from a record company to your local store. The only way to get their new CD In Rainbows is to go to their web site: www.radiohead.com. There you can follow some pretty easy directions and get their new CD--their seventh.

But here is the crazy catch-- you pay what you want. That's right. You put down what every you want to offer to download the new CD. You don't want to pay a dime: that's okay to Radiohead.

For the record I paid six bucks. I planned on paying more but I cut it back based on budgetary constraints. I don't hold any ill will towards someone who doesn't pay a dime. Although part of the reason I still buy CDs of bands I really like is to make it economically feasible for them to keep recording.

I am not going to review their CD here. Although I want to put out there that it is certainly worth the hype (Rolling Stone gave it 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5). It is their strongest CD I have seen since OK Computer (I am not as enamored with Kid A as some). For those who know Kid A well I will just say that In Rainbows is like a more accessible Kid A. I am not saying that in and of itself is better, just providing a point of reference.

Mostly I wonder whether not this will be the beginning of the end of record labels as we know it. Will this be the final slaying of the dragon that I-Tunes has yet accomplished? Will bands take control of their music completely and cut out the middle man?

Those are good questions. All I know is right now Radiohead put out the best CD of the year. You just can't pick it up at your local store.

1 Comments:

Blogger alastor09 said...

nice, so some bands think in his fans

October 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker