Monday, December 29, 2008

Freddie Hubbard, RIP

I love music. One of my favorite genres is jazz. So, I was sad today to hear about the passing of Freddie Hubbard--one of jazz's greats. Hubbard was born in Indianapolis in 1938 and (as the story goes or at least how indystar.com has reported it) cut his teeth on Indiana Avenue before he made his name outside the Hoosier state. It is odd to think of Indiana Avenue as having a great music scene at some point. Right now it only seems like a street that will get you to a Qdoba and Hotbox Pizza in the same location.

If you have never heard Hubbard's music, check it out. My favorite is Ready for Freddie, which Blue Note re-released a few years ago. I was just listening to it a couple of days ago while I was getting the house ready for Christmas. It is unbelievable music, no matter if you are a fan of jazz or not. I would also recommend Red Clay, Here to Stay, or hub-tones.

Hubbard, along with the great Wes Montgomery, are the titans of the Indianapolis jazz scene and now both are gone. I hope one day that the city will come up with a fitting tribute to both.
|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker