Thursday, May 12, 2005

US towns brace for base-closing wave

Link

Indiana officials are confident they have done all they could to lobby for the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center to remain open, but some predict the center might face some jobs losses

I grew up in southern Indiana and it always seemed that the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center was in danger of base closure. I cannot imagine what would happen if it did. Crane is the third largest Navy installation in the world, the twelfth largest employer in Indiana and the second largest in Southwest Indiana.

If Crane would close it would leave these rural Indiana communities without a major employer. I am afraid that these small counties would have little more than trailers and meth labs.

2 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

Oh I hope not - much as I oppose I-69, Indiana needs to keep Crane and its jobs in that area.

I wonder if the folks in charge are caught in the "central Indiana is land-locked, so why.." syndrome.

May 12, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, what a strange place to have the world's third largest naval installation.

I am pro I-69 only because I grew up there and realize the desperate need for jobs. These are the same folks who fought years ago to have a prison built near them just so there would be some jobs. As for the interstate, I wanted them to use a plan that has the least environmental impact and I am not sure that this was accomplished.

May 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker