Friday, August 26, 2005

Irish Pub, my arse

It's no secret that I live on the southside of Indianapolis. I moved down here in January after years of northside living. Ok, it was the northwestside, but still. Last night, I met a few friends at a new "Irish" pub. I am not going to divulge the name of the place, but I must say I was disappointed.

I am no barkeep, but I have a lot of experience on the other side of the bar and I have a few suggestions. First, if you're going to call yourself a "Irish pub", you should have Guinness on draft or be original and have Murphy's or Beamish stout. You should have Jameson's or another Irish whisky available. This place had neither. I was able to get an ice cold Budweiser though.

The decor consisted of fluorescent lighting and vinyl booths that haven't changed since the bar changed themes. It looked like a 1950s diner. I really do not know what made the place Irish other than a crude ink drawing of a leprechaun on construction paper and an Irish flag in the corner. I heard the owner was not even Irish. Argh.

12 Comments:

Blogger fatrobot said...

you should thrown a belfast cocktail through the wondow
NO STOUT!!!
thats unforgiveable

August 26, 2005  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Ha! I back up Fatrobot. I'm not one to throw around the word 'retarded' but to call yourself and Irish pub and not carry any of the main Irish stouts is definately straight-up retarded.

I too live on the Southside, but I don't EVER go out down here. And it's for reasons like this. I am moving north soon enough.

It's good to know before I explore any new spots. Thanks for sharing.

August 26, 2005  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Btw I am curious to know what it is called... if you feel like dropping the info in a comment over at my place or an email, go ahead. If not, I totally understand.

August 26, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

I'll send you an email in a bit.

August 26, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

Hmmm... think I know which place you went. This is why the Southside is what it is.

August 26, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Send me an email with your guess, Lemming.

August 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with Shapiro's Deli, Counselor.

August 27, 2005  
Blogger Jezebella said...

There is also a martini bar in Broadripple that makes terrible martinis. But the non-martini bar on the first floor of the same building makes excellent ones.

August 27, 2005  
Blogger Jim said...

If you don't live too far away from Downtown, I'd suggest MacNiven's on Mass Ave. It's Scottish, not Irish, but at least you'll get something approximating Scottish food there. And the beer selection is outstanding.

August 27, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Thanks, Jim. I am all over MacNiven's. I work a few blocks away from there and I am known to stop by after work.

Jezebella--It's funny how that works sometimes.

August 27, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

I lived on the South side of Indy for a few years. And that seems par for the course. I think the best way to go in that part of town is to simply go to a bar that embraces its white trash roots, serves up Budweiser for a dollar a mug, and has David Alan Coe on the jukebox. It's cheap and kind of sad, but at least it's honest. That's the kind of south side bar you're looking for.

August 30, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Doug, I agree. I don't mind a bar that doesn't try to put on any airs. I like bars that have an atmosphere of "it is what it is". That's fine by me.

August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker