Monday, August 22, 2005

Things to do in Denver when you're...

I spent the last four days in Denver with several friends on our annual trip. The reason for the excursion is ostensibly to see a baseball game. Anyway, here are a few random thoughts about Denver and my experiences:

--Colorado has some blue laws that are worse than Indiana's. One can only buy weakened 3.2 % beer at convenience and grocery stores. Liquor stores and bars are the only place where one can find full flavor beers, but they close at midnight. Bars only can stay open until 2 am and they sometimes start moving you out the door around 1 30 am.

--The crowd of 30,000 at Coors Field for Friday's Cubs/Rockies game was decidedly pro Cubs. One fan even threw a Rockies home run ball back onto the playing field just like they do at Wrigley field. The Rockies' security wasn't amused or maybe even embarrassed. The fan was kicked out of the game.

--Denver is one of the sunniest cities in the United States. It is also prone to some strange weather. I know it is not unheard for it to rain while the sun is shining, but heretofore, I had never been caught in an absolute downpour during a bright and sunny day.

--They really do serve Rocky Mountain Oysters in Colorado. Our waitress, "I see you boys were eyeing the Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu, are you gonna try 'em?". Me, "No, uh, uh, how about the potato skins instead".

--No one should drink Coors non-alcoholic beer.

--And speaking of Coors, they should be shot for buying up the distributing rights to Caffrey's and Grolsch and then choosing not to import them into the United States. Caffrey's is gone and Grolsch will be after 2006. This decision has implications further than just beer. Grolsch, if you remember, has the fancy ceramic or plastic stoppers on their bottles. Like one of my friends asked, "what will future college kids use for an improvised roach clip?"

5 Comments:

Blogger lilmammal said...

No more Grolsh??? :( What will I live for?

August 22, 2005  
Blogger Doug said...

It seems vaguely appropriate to mention that despite the earlier closing times and blue laws, I was able to get wildly drunk in and around Coor's field.

Let's see, there was a place with high tables, bright lights, and a tile floor. There was a dark, swanky place with a long bar and some good beer. There was a bar with a lot of empty floor space and some pool tables. None of that may actually exist, but somehow that's what stuck in the fog of memory surrounding that excursion back in the summer of '03.

August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like me some Grolsh. I've never forgiven Coors for their founder's political views...also that they make Killians and pretend it's an Irish microbrew. It's a toss up as to which annoys me more.


I still can't get over the fact that I can buy beer here on Sundays without going to a restaurant.

August 22, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

I've never been a Coors fan either. They are anti-union. Pete Coors is a SOB, Coors light is crap.

I laughed when I found out years ago that Killian's is actually Coors. I went on the brew tour though and they said that there actually was a Killian's and they bought the recipe. Hmmm...I guess that's better.

I usually avoid Coors products. Original Coors is ok and I'll drink it if I must, but I have to admit that I like a good blue moon with an orange.

August 23, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

No Grolsch as of 2006?! I can't believe that Coor will gain all that many more drinkers by removing this particular brand from the market.

August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker