Thursday, October 6, 2005

Is this a surprise?

I remember being hounded by National Guard recruiters when I was in high school. I probably would have signed up under pressure, but my dad stepped in to save from doing so. It was a different time though as I never would have thought that I could be shipped to fight in Desert Storm. I mean, the National Guard was a place one joined to avoid being shipped overseas, right? Now, it is different. I don't understand why the National Guard seems to be carrying a heavier proportion of this current war than the regular trained army does. I would not recommend that my child (if I had one) join either branch, but if he/she had to do so, I'd rather that he join the regular army where it is safer.

Guard misses recruiting goal

Indiana Army National Guard recruiters fell 12 percent short of their goal in the past year but still managed to increase the size of the force by enlisting 2,161 new soldiers.

link

6 Comments:

Blogger lilmammal said...

Argh... they got me at 17.

October 06, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, they would have had me too, but my father stopped them. I'll always be indebted to him for that.

October 06, 2005  
Blogger lilmammal said...

It's amazing that they can recruit 17 year olds with very little parental consent needed.

October 07, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

You seemed to emerge unscathed though.

October 07, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

My grandfather fought in WW2, my great uncle in Korea, my uncle was in the Air Force, my dad in the Army & Navy and my cousin was a POW in Vietnam. My brother & I decided that our family had put its time in and that we weren't signing up for the armed forces in any capacity.

October 11, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, same here. My family was in World War 2, attended Westpoint, etc. In fact, I was born on an Air Force Base in England. I think my family has done enough as well.

October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker