Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Americans know more about the Simpsons than they do the First Amendment

Study: Few Americans Know 1st Amendment

CHICAGO - Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey
.


Link

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed petition to redress grievances, which is truly sad given my profession.

March 01, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

I did too and I am equally embarrassed.

March 01, 2006  
Blogger lemming said...

I've grown quite cynical about such studies. I've heard too many politicians and talking heads proclaim that the first amendment promises something that it does not, revealing that they've never actually taken the trouble to read the Constitution.

(I got all five, but can modestly attribute this to years of teaching US History! grin)

March 01, 2006  
Blogger Doug said...

Reminds me of one summer when I called home to Mom. I mentioned three achievements:

1. Dean's list for the semester.
2. Invited to be on the staff of one of the legal journals.
3. Placed 3rd in the nation on NTN's (bar trivia game) Simpson's trivia.

Mom kind of laughed and said she could tell which one I was most proud of.

March 02, 2006  
Blogger torporindy said...

Hah, I used to be a NTN nerd too.

March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker