Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New Year Miscellany

Two new blogs added to the blogroll (via Masson)

Trifles from Anderson -- Self described as: Whatever comes to mind about politics and life in Indiana: the food, the people, trying to make a living. Completely biased against stupidity and favoring humor and the Democratic Party in post-industrial factory town where the most culture can be found in the yogurt section of the local grocery stores. Still, we persist in our search for a meaningful life.

Stampede Blue - A blog about the Indianapolis Colts

Advance Indiana posts a story from The Hill about aging Congresswoman Julia Carson. Her health has been an issue for some time and she has been seen using a wheelchair in DC and violating House floor rules about eating and dress. She was on the news tonight for speaking at the swearing in for Marion County Democrats and she appeared to be in poor health.

I have to return to work tomorrow. During my break, I was able to go to Terre Haute to see my alma mater destroy the Purdue Boilermakers in a basketball game. Also, I was able to drink Champagne Velvet pilsner, which is a revival beer of the Terre Haute Brewing Company. Perhaps the Hoosier Beer Geeks need to make a roadtrip to Moggers in Terre Haute where they can sample this on tap.

Lastly, let me tell you that smoking is bad for you, but every once in a while Torporindy enjoys a cigarette or fifteen. This is usually when I am accompanied by either two people I'll call J. West, the J. and also a few beers. They are obscurely featured in this post. J. West was in town from California and we all met up for dinner at St. Elmo's.

After dinner, we walked down to Olives at the Omni for a nightcap. We were interrupted a by a short man in a black trench coat.

He said, "Excuse, I am from Texas and I am jonesing for a cigarette."

I wondered why he bothered to tell us why he was from Texas, but I started to offer him one anyway.

He said, "I'll give you 20 dollars for one cigarette."

My friend and I each started to protest that's not necessary. My friend reached for his pack and the guy asked for two. My friend remarked that he only had one. I told him there were enough in my pack on the table to help himself.

He grabbed two and put 40 dollars on the table. I told him it was not necessary, but he walked away and told me to buy a carton.

All right.

Well, I did not buy the carton but the money did buy me some champagne velvets the following night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

I cant get that lucky!

January 02, 2007  
Blogger John Good said...

That's a tough one to kick. I was a two-pack per day smoker. Kool Super Longs at that. . .couldn't even taste them anymore. Been clean for 5 years in February!

January 02, 2007  
Blogger Smartypants said...

In Texas, packs of cigarettes went up $1 in a new tax increase on Jan. 1st. It sounds like this guy can afford it.

January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker