Saturday, April 7, 2007

New Music, etc.

Because of time constraints, I can't keep up with posts on music as I want to. Notwithstanding that I thought I would drop a post on new music and shows coming our way.

There have been several good releases already in 2007 with several more to look forward to. My top three for the year (very early) would be: 1.) Kings of Leon, Because of the Times; 2.) Arcade Fire, Neon Bible; 3.) Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank. I don't necessarily think Kings of Leon are for everyone, but their latest release is by far their most mature and accomplished to date.

My favorite songs of the year thus far include "Knocked Up" (it is exactly what you think it is) and "Arizona" by Kings of Leon; "Antichrist Television Blues" by Arcade Fire; "Methamphetamine" by Son Volt; and "Ruby" by the Kaiser Chiefs.

I am looking forward to several new releases this summer. Local heroes Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos have an EP planned for a June Release. Wilco's latest will drop on May 15th. Artic Monkey's sophomore effort comes out on April 24, 2007. And the new formation of Smashing Pumpkins are scheduled to release an album in July. There are still rumours of a new Radiohead CD out in 2007. Axl Rose has also promised to have Chinese Democracy out by 2010.

There are several great shows this summer. Wilco will return to Indy on June 15th. Elf Power is making an appearance on April 18th. That show is only ten bucks at Centrum Live. Kings of Leon will be at the Vogue on May 15th. The Indy Jazz Fest returns with Chick Corea and Bela Fleck closing out the festival on June 17th. For those who don't mind a road trip, Pearl Jam will headline this years Lollapolooza in Chicago on August 5th.

If anybody has heard any good music this year or know of any good shows on the horizon, drop a comment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brick said...

In my opinion, Arcade Fire is terrible. I saw them on SNL, and I had to turn the volume down because it was some of the worst sounds that I have ever heard coming from a band. I would rather hear nails scratched on a chalkboard.

April 09, 2007  
Blogger Mymsie said...

Can't wait for Lollapalooza. Went last year and had a ball!

April 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker