Sunday, June 10, 2007

American Super Heroes Museum

I have always thought that the United States has two great original cultural contributions to the world. One is jazz. The other is comic books. Both are completely American originals. As I child I enjoyed comic books. But as I got older with many other factors in the way of my getting laid, I didn't need an additional help in that regard. So I gave them up. My interest in comic book characters is re-heightened every summer when the new superhero movie is released.

One person who never gave up his love for Superheros is Dane Nash. Mr. Nash has built one of the largest collections of Superman memorabilia known. A few months ago he opened a showcase for his large collection of Superman and Batman memorabilia in downtown Indianapolis. The American Super Heroes Museum is located at 20 W. Louisiana Street. It is across from Union Station and the Pacers Academy.

I wanted to make it over there for the last few months but hadn't been able to fit it in. Today with some spare time I finally did. Mr. Nash was the only employee of the Museum and he greeted me with the enthusiasm of a child. Five bucks for admission certainly is not hard on the wallet.

The Museum's collection of Superman memorabilia is amazing. The museum has divided up the various glassware, board games, figurines and the like by decade. But the highlight of the Superman collection are the costumes. The museum has Superman costumes worn by many of the actors that have played the Man of Steel through the years including George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, and Dean Cain.

The Batman collection is admittedly small in comparison to the Superman collection. But it has two highlights of the museum: a replica of the Batmobile from the first Michael Keaton movie and a replica of the Batboat from the campy Batman movie of the 60's. I spoke to Mr. Nash about the replications. He said the studios were reluctant to sell him the originals so he simply had them built. Both look awesome.

Mr. Nash also told me that the museum only holds half of his collection. And admittedly it is fairly small. It took me thirty minutes to go through the whole collection. I gave myself another fifteen minutes to look through some of what I might have missed. But still the collections is worth seeing. And speaking to Mr. Nash about his collection and how he got his hands of the more intriguing pieces was worth the price of admission alone.

The hours of the Museum are great. It is open during the week 10PM to 9PM. It is open on Sunday 10Am to 6PM. Check it out sometime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

I drove by that the other day and thought it looked like something cool to do! Glad it's worth while!

June 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article, you make some interesting points. I learn more about American Super Heroes Museum .

museum directory

July 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The museum is not that great. Other than the costumes its just toys you can by at Toys R US and other garage sale items

July 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker