Monday, May 16, 2005

Deliver Us from Wal-Mart?

Christians are among those sounding the alarm about the ethics of this retail giant.

The cavernous hallway outside Chicago City Council chambers is echoing with the sound of 150 people chanting, "We're fed up, we won't take it no mo'!"

The lady with the megaphone is leading a mix of union workers and community reform activists shouting slogans against the world's largest retailer. One of the protesters, Ella Hereth of the advocacy group Jobs with Justice, tells CT that Wal-Mart is the "poster boy for corporate exploitation."

She ticks off the complaints: low pay, scant benefits, race and sex discrimination, and profiting from mistreated workers in foreign "sweatshops." Before the Chicago City Council votes to block one store but allow another, aldermen label Wal-Mart "the worst company in America" and an "evildoer."



Christianity Today Magazine

10 Comments:

Blogger torporindy said...

I've doomed myself to several more weeks of Wal-Mart adverts on my site now that I've posted another Wal-Mart story.

May 16, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

I'm not holding my breath. I have purchased exactly one item from W-M in my entire life, but I am a minority...

May 16, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Good on you, then.

There is no choice but Wal-Mart in the small community where my family lives. If I am visiting them, I may sneak in for some contact lens solution if I've forgotten mine. Otherwise, I do not shop there at all and I never will.

May 16, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

cork screw for a bottle of merlot. Does this qualify me as a yuppie?

May 16, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Well, that is one high falutin' item to be picking up at wal-mart.

Did I read that you haven't seen Sideways?

May 17, 2005  
Blogger rainchic said...

My dad tells the joke that when he dies he wants to be buried at Wal Mart so mom will visit him once a week. By the way, most of dad's jokes are not funny, this one included.

Your google ad had a link titled "do you shop at walmart?" when I visited before. I'm sure you don't get to choose the links, but did think it was odd.

May 17, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Yeah, apparently the program looks for keywords on your page and then lists an advertisement that matches that keyword.

Interestingly, at one point the advert listed a direct link to Walmart.com right beside a link to the great site http://www.walmartwatch.com

May 17, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Your dad's joke probably has a ring of truth to it. In many small towns, the wal-mart is the community center. I laugh at how they actually place benches in the front of the store behind the cash registers. These benches are supposed to be for people to meet and greet.

It's sad that there used to be benches just like these in downtown areas all across the US. However, the shops are all shuttered now and there is no reason to go downtown and sit on these benches.

I tell ya. Those bastards at Wal-Mart think of everything.

May 17, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

Nope, not seen Sideways. I see about one movie a year in the theater. With Sideways on DVD maybe I'll spot a cheap copy someplace - it does look like something I'd enjoy.

May 18, 2005  
Blogger torporindy said...

Ok, today, I am laughing because "my still smokin' in indy" headline has inspired smoking cessation ads by google.

May 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker