Monday, April 9, 2007

Flipping the bird

I was surprised to see Liam Gallagher of Oasis basically "flipping the bird" on the Yahoo main page today. Yahoo had an accompanying article noting that Oasis and some other bands were planning rerecording the Beatles Sgt Pepper Album for its 30th anniversary. The backwards peace sign is an offensive gesture in the UK and many of its former colonies. I doubt if the editor who chose the file photo realized that Liam is essentially saying f--k you with his hands.


3 Comments:

Blogger tim said...

I'm from one of those former colonies, and "flicking the V's" may not be as offensive as you think. It's certainly not a polite gesture, but it's not uncommon to see it in the media.

I'm always amused when "the finger" is censored on American TV.

April 09, 2007  
Blogger torporindy said...

Hi, Tim, yeah, I don't think it's a big deal, but I thought it was funny since in America we blur out the middle finger on television. I think if Yahoo knew, they would have not put up that photo.

April 09, 2007  
Blogger Butchie said...

Maybe he was indicating that he would like two of something.

April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker