Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Indianapolis Monthy

The latest issue of Indianapolis Monthly has a feature article on several local blogs. Torpor Indy made the cut of six highlighted in the magazine's November issue. The article is found in the magazine's Circle City Essential Indiana feature, which is on page 44.

The feature makes note of four things you need to know about the blog. These include the blogger, the likely reader, choice words (a quote from the blog), and why bother (the magazine's reasoning why a person should check out the blog). The magazine indicated that the blogger for this site is "a lawyer with a distaste for Indy." It also noted that the likely reader of this blog was a fellow misanthrope.

Those who read this blog with some consistency know that this blog includes commentary about local and national politics but is also, in part, a lifestyle blog about living in Indianapolis. Those who read this blog are also aware that this blog is not mine but is simply in my steward while Torpor is out of the country on business.

With that in mind, I can't speak for Torpor because only he can do that. But before I became involved with this blog as its music editor, I read the blog for several months. Although I consider Torpor a good friend and he and myself have had several discussions about the city where we live, I have followed the blog long enough to have some thoughts about this blog's contents with a certain level of objectivity.

For those who may have decided to check out this blog in search of a forum about the personal hell of living in Indianapolis, I am sorry to say you will be disappointed. Torpor the blog nor Torpor the man have ever held such a disregard for the city that he calls home. If anything the blog has been a celebration of the city that despite of its flaws, is ripe with potential and well positioned to lift itself from its national profile of a second tier city.

If anything could be construed as a distaste of Indy, it could only be commentary about some of the flaws that exist here. But noting a flaw from time to time does not rise to a level of distaste.

From a personal standpoint, I am flattered that the magazine would think enough about a blog that I am associated with to make note of it in its feature. But it is also my opinion that the magazine's characterization of the blogger and the likely reader was simply off the mark.

I will express my gratitude to Indianapolis Monthly for thinking enough about the blog to expose it to its readers. For those who have stumbled upon the site because of the article, hopefully you will visit again. The article got one point right on target, this site does have several links to other Indy blogs. The Indy blogs listed on this site are all worth checking out and hopefully you will give them a look. You may access them at the right side of this web page.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who were the other blogs mentioned? Indy Monthly's website sucks - they only show four articles from this month's edition!

November 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not either misanthropey! Much! I have plenty of affection for my native city - I'm just realistic about its flaws and foibles.

November 01, 2006  
Blogger Timmy said...

I have never heard Torpor bash Indy. EVER.

November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised at IM's interpretation of this site too.

November 02, 2006  
Blogger stAllio! said...

indiana politico? that blog hasn't been updated in three months!

November 02, 2006  
Blogger lemming said...

To think that I knew you when!!! Wow.

Don't forget us little people now that you're big time, OK?

November 02, 2006  
Blogger Matt Brown said...

I'm surprised Doug Masson's blog wasn't mentioned.

November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Banner eXTReMe Tracker